Feds to pay $42M to parents of boy hurt by forceps delivery

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) –

The federal government has withdrawn its appeal and agreed to pay $42 million to the parents of a young Pennsylvania boy left disabled from brain injuries apparently caused by the use of forceps during his birth, the parents’ lawyers and the government announced Thursday.
“The government recognized that their issues on appeal were without merit and that the verdict was just and appropriate,” said Regan Safier, of Kline & Specter, a Philadelphia law firm. “The judge recognized the catastrophic injuries suffered by this child and awarded the money necessary to care for him over his lifetime.”

In a statement, U.S. Attorney David J. Freed said, “We respect the court’s decision in this matter, and wish nothing but the best for the minor child and his parents.”
The verdict last year by U.S. District Judge Sylvia Rambo in Harrisburg came after a six-day trial in 2016 on claims by the parents, Christiana Late and Nathan Armolt.

2018-03-07T23:18:24+00:00